Guess who's back...


After a (fairly long) blogging sabbatical I am back.


Many of you have been asking me why I haven't been writing and when I'd start again...

The truth is, I became so busy with other writing projects that I started neglecting writing for this site, which is sad because this blog is space where I can creatively have fun and share my experiences with an audience I don't necessarily get across to through my magazine work. It's also a space free from restrictions.


Once I'd stopped posting regularly, the guilt of not posting eventually passed and I fell into a slump of work, work, work and no creative writing. Not that my work is not creative – but once something becomes work, it loses a little bit of its sweetness. After a while I didn't know where to begin again.


I have just returned from the KKNK http://kknk.co.za/ and a full weekend at TASTE OF CAPE TOWN http://tasteofcapetown.com/ and I am feeling so inspired to write. For myself. And to share stories about my experiences.


I've also been through a lot of (stressful) changes over the past few months. I left the awesome food magazine Gourmet and decor, design and lifestyle title, House & Garden after three years of working at Condé Nast. I am now the food editor and senior copy editor at Women's Health, a magazine that inspires me every day. I'm on the path to becoming a healthier, better version of myself – that doesn't mean I'm holding off on the wine though! In fact, my husband and I finally bottled our 2013 vintage at the end of last year and it's drinking beautifully! T&A 2.0. A Shiraz/Cab blend that will see us all through winter... or maybe a month, depending on how quickly we consume a barrel's worth of wine. And I drink wine the way a desert dweller drinks water upon discovering Shangri-La.




The difference? I'm running more, I'm taking part in other outdoor activities, like tennis (and I’ve entered the Discovery World Triathlon Cape Town on the 26th http://capetown.triathlon.org/). I'm also eating more healthily. You can actually find quite a few of my recipes on the Women's Health's website: http://womenshealthsa.co.za/. I will be sure to post them here too... 




I lost my dad a few months ago. He had cancer that spread to his brain in rather a short amount of time. I'm continually grateful to the understanding and kindness shown to me by the H&G and Gourmet team, especially when I upped and left for Kenya for the first emergency and then, later, to Joburg for the final defeat. I miss my dad every day.





I am also turning 29 in a month (yep, everyone was wondering how long this 20-something thing would last). That old adage about time flying has never felt truer than right now. I have to dedicate my last year of being a 20-something to my blog. And, when I do turn 30, well... I always thought 30-something in Cape Town had a good ring to it...


But, mostly, I've returned because Cape Town is just so damn amazing and there is new stuff happening all the time and I want to share it with you.


So expect to hear more from me, very, very soon!



Comments