Jax's Birthday Cake


 It was my female partner in crime's birthday this weekend and I was commissioned with making her birthday cake. She has such a bubbly personality and loves plenty of colour, so I was inspired to make a 'rainbow' cake. I divided a basic vanilla sponge batter into four layers (the same amount you would usually use to make 2 layer cakes). I then added half a teaspoon of food colouring to each layer: blue, red, green and purple.
I iced the cake with rich butter icing: 200g butter, 450g icing sugar, a tablespoon of milk and 1/2 a teaspoon of rose essence, so that it smelt like zoo biscuits! I had to make 2 batches of this to cover all the cake.

I sprinkled the cake with edible glitter to add some sparkle. I also made colour-matching roses out of fondant icing and leaves for added effect.



It turned out quite well and the birthday girl was happy :-)

Comments