@seoul - authentic South Korean Food in Sea Point

A South Korean restaurant opened in Sea Point last year, called @Seoul and a friend of mine and I happened to eat there by accident for the first time in December.
We were pleasantly surprised by the clean, simply decorated space.

We ordered vegetarian dumplings (five for R29, steamed or fried) for starters and for mains I had a beef and vegetable stir fry with spicy rice dish called the Dolsot Bibim Bap (R79). It came in a sizzling hot stone pot, which kept the food at a high temperature. There was also a raw egg yolk in the middle, which you stir into the dish as it arrives, mixing up all the ingredients - DELICIOUS!!
My friend had the vegetable stir-friend rice covered with omelette (R55), which was not spicy at all, but had a more tomato-flavoured sauce.

Starters are not necessary unless you are really hungry though. Side dishes with interesting items such as cabbage, spicy horse raddish, mini omelettes and thin potato slices are complimentary when ordering certain mains.
The second time I went, I ordered the same dish I had the first time, simply because it was so tasty, and I had to show it off to my partner. He tried the Korean sweet and sour pork (R75), upon recommendation of our waitress, who moved to SA from South Korea two years ago (and is in the process of learning English). The pork was cooked in a tempura style, with sweet and sour sauce poured on top. It was mush more flavourful than I anticipated, and nothing like a typical Chinese sweet and sour dish.

Mains average out at about R75 each. The wine selection is small, and guests are welcome to bring their own.

On both occasions that I have been, the crowd included visiting Koreans and families and couples.

77 Regent Road, Sea Point, Cape Town, 021-439-3373

*Apologies for the poor quality of photographs - only had the terrible cellphone camera at hand*

Comments