it's starting to look a lot like....


Christmas!

I can't believe it's already December and while I'm happy to see the end of this somewhat tricky year, it was in many ways life changing for me.
On the positive side, I got engaged. On the negative side, my whole team (horizons and khuluma magazines) got retrenched due to 'financial reasons' a couple months ago.
However, here I sit, a couple days into my new job at House & Garden magazine.
I have begun to realise that being retrenched was probably the best thing that could have happened to me at the time.

I was forced to take stock of my life, update my CV, get a new haircut and head out into the streets of Cape Town's publishing industry – all while consuming bottles of wine every evening to calm my nerves.
Okay.... I know the haircut and the wine was not necessary – but it sure was fun*

Above it all, I've come out fighting and have a great new job... plus two new grey hairs – although, that's nothing a bottle of dye can't fix.

So technically I feel like I'm ending the year with a bang (retrenchment package and all).

I had a couple days off to touch base with my soul - walk on the beach, read books, go for lazy late brunches and good coffee, followed by indulgent dinners and limitless bottles of wine...

Yip you guessed it I'm practically broke!

If there's one thing work does, it's that it forces you to sit in an office and avoid splurging.

However, at least I can say with a clear conscience that although my bank account is nearing empty, I have bought and wrapped Christmas presents for my entire family and my fiance's. While this may sound freakishly organized to some... I mean, who in their right mind has all their Christmas shopping done before 1 December, right?

Well I do.

And on that note, if you happen to be living in a timewarp, here are ten ways to tell Christmas is on it's way to Cape Town:

1. The South East blows worse than it has the whole year.
2. Every where you look, there are (freakishly) tall, naturally blonde people. Yes, those are the tourists from the Netherlands.
3. Your domestic gives you the look that says 'just because you got retrenched doesn't mean I'm not getting my bonus'.... FYI: people in the magazine industry (in SA) haven't received bonuses since 2007.
4. There are bridal fairs practically every weekend, with desperate designers trying to get rid of their failed butterflies-upon-chiffon-upon-lace-with-dotted-sequins dresses.
5. It becomes increasingly difficult to reserve a table for dinner on the day...
6. Girls dresses start de-threading and stop just below the bum.
7. You wake up naturally before 7:30am (it's just so damn bright!)
8. And you only eat dinner at 9pm (it's just so damn light!)
9. You get burnt walking from your car to the office.
10. And let's be honest, If you haven't noticed by now... you clearly haven't been into a Woolies since mid-October.

Comments

Thuli said…
Hey! Nice and engaging post you wrote there. Wow I didn't know you got retrenched, you always seem happy :-) Anyways, glad its all sorted out now, have fun at the new job. xoxo
Amy said…
thanks Thuli :)
I was feeling the stress for a while...
But having the new job and position sorted is such a relief :)
Seth said…
Hahaha sweety i loved the post!