Bakery bliss - De Oude Bank Bakkerij


If you get bread cravings like I do, I know just the place to get your fix. When I say bread, I don’t mean a sliced white sasko sam plastic packaged loaf. I mean freshly baked, traditional wood-fired style dark rye, sour dough and ciabatta.
I have recently fallen in love with Stellenbosch and envisage myself living there at some point, on my wine farm complete with recording studio, deli and art gallery. But for now I’ll just settle for visiting the town, as it’s less than an hours drive from Cape Town and filled with gorgeous shops, restaurants and of course, wine farms.
Stop in a the De Oude Bank Bakkerij off Church street. You have to walk down a little alley, and then to your right you will find what is reminiscent of a summer cottage house.
Inside bustling bakers, trendy diners and a selection of locally made cheeses, pestos, pastes, beers etc.
You can order the types of breads in slices and toppings. I went alone, but I recommend doing this with at least one other person so you can get to try something of everything.
I had a honey ale from the tap, two slices of sour dough, basil pesto, olive tapenade and mature Huguenot cheddar cheese. It made for a lovely lunch, while a browsed through a book I found on the shelves: Bread, beyond the basket. I also bought a rye loaf 90% (R35) and my total bill came up to R81.
They also have live music on selected evenings, 021-8832187

Comments