for the love of vino part 36 939 782

Okay – 36 939 782 is just a made up number because I can't remember how many times I have written posts about wine... probably due to mass consumption of wine.

As a sulphur-suffering defective human being, a pack loratadine is never far from hands reach… and admittedly, neither is a bottle of good wine.

I recently tried some wines from the Riebeek Valley wine estate: Riebeek Cellars (www.riebeekcellars.com).

As this is shiraz country, and I am a shiraz fiend, I had to give theirs a try. The 2007 vintage was yummy, heavy, smoky and delicious as any shiraz could be... but on these hot hot hot summer nights in Cape Town, I tend to steer towards something cooler.

I do not normally drink ‘the rose’ but lately I have tried some really excellent ones. Just last night I opened a bottle of the Riebeek Pinotage Rosé – super chilled. Needless to say it was finished very quickly. It’s light, fresh and slightly sweet, but not, with wholesome, round feeling about it. (I don’t know if you can use these words to describe wine – but that’s the feeling I got.) It’s made from 100% Pinotage grapes making it uniquely South African. I am usually not that fond of pinotage either, but lately I’ve been gulping down my own words so to speak.

We complimented the wine with a classic tomato-basil-parmesan pasta. Yum!

Comments